US Firms can work with Huawei on 5G, other standards, says Commerce Department

US firms can work with Huawei on 5G
Photo: CNBC.com

The United States Department of Commerce has Tuesday, 16 June 2020 handed out a modification to its sweeping Huawei ban. US firms can work with Huawei at least for now. Proponents of the move note that the change in policy ought not to be heeded as a softening on the government’s stance toward the embattled Chinese smartphone developers, but rather is a venture to expand more streamlined standards for 5G, along with the firm, which has been one of the major forces in its advancement. In other words, it is an attempt by Trump’s administration to get from Huawei what the US cannot produce.

According to the United States Department of Commerce, US firms can work with Huawei;

This action is meant to ensure Huawei’s placement on the Entity List in May 2019 does not prevent American companies from contributing to important standards-developing activities despite Huawei’s pervasive participation in standards-development organizations.

Related: The U.S. preparing to block global chipset supplies to Huawei

What this change means is now US firms can work with Huawei to hash out the parameters for the next-generation wireless technology. “The United States will not cede leadership in global innovation. This action recognizes the importance of harnessing American ingenuity to advance and protect our economic and national security,” Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said in a statement. “The Department is committed to protecting U.S. national security and foreign policy interests by encouraging U.S. industry to fully engage and advocate for U.S. technologies to become international standards.”

The new  Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) rule practically allows firms to share information about technologies in order to expand a joint standard without compelling an export license. Beyond that, however, the DOC has no stated plans to ease up after placing Huawei on its entities list last year.


Read also: Huawei making the Google ban seems irrelevant

The Chinese smartphone maker was blacklist over a litany of ongoing complaints, including its ties to the national government, thereby serving as a backdoor [ spy] for the Chinese government and an alleged sanction violation with Iran. The move has had a serious impact on the company, including a severing of its ties to Google, which formed the software backbone of its mobile line through Android and a suit of included apps. Therefore, now that US firms can work with Huawei on 5G related issues, what will be of the earlier blacklist by Google on the Chinses tech giant? Successive handsets, comprising the recently released P40 Pro+, have been shipped without official Google apps preinstalled.

%d bloggers like this: