It is okay if the phone system lags or freezes for a short period of time, especially after a system update as the phone takes some time to adjust to the new operating system. However, sometimes that may not always be the case.
In my experience, when mobile phone system lags or freezes, it could be a lot of factors, such as the phone may be uploading or downloading files [ OTA software updates or updating apps ], pictures, videos, or apps, copying data [such as from Files] or transferring data [such as via Phone Clone and Huawei Share].
The about stated factors take a lot of smartphone memories, hence causing the phone to slow down. This is always temporal and in some instances, it’ll resolve itself without having to perform any major action.
To make sure if any of the above is the cause of your laggy phone, kindly swipe down the notification to check for file upload, download, and transfer progress.
If this is not the case, perform the following steps to troubleshoot your phone system lags or freezes
Restart your phone
Restarting a phone usually fixes phone system lags or freezes. In fact, it is advised that you restart your phone every two or three days, as this clears the cache and prevents the phone from freezing or lagging.
Look out for overheating
The performance of every phone slows down and response may delay when overheating happens. It is recommended that you avoid using your phone while it is charging.
Also, reduce the screen brightness to the lowest level provided it’ll not distract your vision. You can also disable power-intensive apps and functions, such as Bluetooth, GPS and NFC.
Inspect storage card
- Memory cards help you to store your data, however, too many files in the memory card may slow down read and write speeds. It is recommended that you keep at least 10% of the storage memory available to prevent your phone system from lags.
- One other issue is a faulty memory card may slow the performance of your phone.
- If your phone’s default storage location is a memory card, set it to internal storage and try again.
Remove any third-party phone management apps
Uninstall any third-party management apps installed on your phone, as they may not be compatible with pre-installed phone manager app. Third-party phone management apps make your phone system lags or freezes.
Bloatware is software you don’t want that burdens and slows down your device. These are programs that are preinstalled on new devices, come bundled with other downloads, or are injected into your system through malicious sites, you visit with your phone.
Update the system OS
- If your phone has been rooted, reinstall the system to cancel the root status.
- If the phone still responds slowly, make sure your phone system is up to date, because the phone performance will always improve in the latest version.
Factory data reset
The last task you would need to perform if your phone system lags or freezes. Back up important data and perform Factory data reset, and see whether the issue is resolved.