Usually, when a new ios update is available, your Apple Watch notifies you. To update, tap ‘update tonight’ in the notification, then go to your iPhone to confirm that you want to upgrade your device overnight. At the end of the day, leave your Apple Watch and iPhone charging overnight so the update can complete.
Before you begin to update your Apple Watch
- Update your iPhone to the latest version of iOS.
- Make sure that your Apple Watch is at least 50 percent charged.
- Connect your iPhone to Wi-Fi.
- Keep your iPhone next to your Apple Watch, so that they’re in range.
To check for updates manually, follow these steps:
- Keep your Apple Watch on its charger until the update completes.
- On your iPhone, open the Watch app, then tap the My Watch tab.
- Tap General > Software Update.
- Download the update. If asked for your iPhone passcode or Apple Watch passcode, enter it.
- Wait for the progress wheel to appear on your Apple Watch. It could take from several minutes to an hour for the update to complete.